The point of your vehicle’s windshield is to stop bugs, rocks and the elements from hitting you in the face while you’re behind the wheel driving. But the need for windshields in Vacaville, CA is actually far more important than you might imagine. A windshield provides support for your car’s frame. It keeps everyone in the passenger compartment safe from debris and serious injury during an accident. This is why you need to do what you can to keep your windshield in good condition. That means keeping the glass clean, parking in the shade and addressing small chips and cracks before the damage spreads.
You know that windshields allow drivers to see clearly out the front of vehicles, but did you know auto glass serves more than one purpose and has a pretty interesting history? Here are six things you may not know about automotive windshields:
- Tempered glass reduces injuries: Auto manufacturers typically install tempered glass windows on the sides and rear of vehicles. This is a safety measure. When tempered glass breaks, it doesn’t shatter into a bunch of sharp, jagged pieces. Instead, the entire glass breaks into small pebble-sized pieces. This gives drivers and passengers a better chance at avoiding serious injury during an accident. Windshields, however, are made of laminate glass, which doesn’t shatter. It’s made up of two layers of glass with a strong piece of plastic between them.
- Windshields provide roof support: Windshields play a critical role in vehicle roof support. In the event of a roll-over accident, a strong windshield will hold the roof in place. If structural integrity is lacking, the roof could collapse and injure everyone inside the vehicle. This is a huge reason why your windshield must be repaired, or replaced if too many cracks and chips make repairs impossible.
- Tinting protects windshields: Tinted windshields in Vacaville, CA can boost the appearance of vehicles, and increase the level of safety of your windshield. Tinting acts as a barrier from intense ultraviolet sunlight, which helps reduce damage to auto glass. It also provides some level of protection against small rocks and other road debris that may get flung into the windshield.
- Insurance may cover glass damage: Drivers submit auto insurance claims for windshield damage all the time. It’s one of the most common types of automobile claim because windshields are regularly exposed to the elements and all sorts of road conditions. These factors increase the risk of chips, cracks and breaks.
- Windshields were once optional: When motor vehicles first appeared on the scene, windshields were optional. They were expensive additions. So in lieu of windshields, drivers and passengers wore goggles and scarves to protect their faces from the elements.
- Windshield wipers were invented by a woman: Windshield wipers were invented in 1903 by a woman named Mary Anderson. She had observed a New York City trolley car having difficulty clearing snow from its windshield and wanted to do something about it.
If you are in need of an auto shop that specializes in repairing automotive windshields in Vacaville, CA, look no further than Tom’s Glass Co. Contact us today for a free window repair or replacement estimate!
Categorised in: Windshield Repair