We’ve all been there: you’re driving down the freeway, when suddenly a rock hits your windshield. Not only is it startling, but if it chips your windshield, it’s dangerous. Since no one really wants to go get their windshield repaired, it’s easy to put it off. Why take time out of your busy week to go wait while your car is fixed?
Unfortunately, driving with a chipped windshield isn’t just risking a cracked windshield or a fix-it ticket—it can also be a serious safety hazard.
Here’s why you shouldn’t delay getting windshield chip repair in Vacaville, CA:
- It can lead to cracks: The most obvious reason to repair your windshield is because, if left unaddressed, that tiny chip will lead to larger chips and cracks. This is a process called “spiderwebbing,” which is exacerbated by extreme temperatures. When the mercury rises during the Vacaville summers, your glass heats and expands. If you’re like most people, the first thing you do is blast the air conditioner on the “Arctic” level. When the cold air meets the glass, it will start shrinking, leading to bigger cracks. They can also spread if another rock or piece of debris hits your windshield.
- It will collect dust and debris: As you drive around with a chipped windshield, dust, dirt and debris can accumulate in the chip and worsen the problem. Dirt buildup also makes it harder for the chip to be repaired—which means the longer you let it go, the more likely you’ll have to replace your whole windshield.
- Your vision may be limited: Chips and cracks form dangerous distractions and blind spots. Depending on where the chip is located and how big it is, it can prevent you from seeing pedestrians or cyclists. Even a small distraction is enough to cause a terrible accident—it doesn’t make sense to risk it.
- It can collapse in an accident: Chipped windshields lose some of their structural integrity, especially if the chip is on the larger side. If you’re in an accident, the windshield—which helps hold up the roof—can crack and crumble during a rollover situation. It also makes it more likely that you or a passenger will be ejected from the car during a crash.
- It may prevent your airbags from deploying: Finally, a chipped windshield can stop your airbags from deploying. Airbags depend on the windshield to provide structural integrity, and if your windshield is already damaged it may prevent the airbags from inflating properly. Don’t risk finding out the hard way.
Although it’s annoying and inconvenient, getting your windshield replaced as soon as possible is key to your safety and wellbeing. It’ll also save you from costly tickets, which can be even more expensive than the chip repair itself. Depending on the type of insurance you have, your repair may even be covered.
When you need windshield chip repair or windshield glass replacement in Vacaville, CA, schedule an appointment at Tom’s Glass Co. today. We look forward to assisting you soon!
Categorised in: Windshield Repair